Saturday, June 26, 2010

Singled Out

I constantly feel singled out because of my single status. A single woman is questioned to their singleness and really, there is really not that much to question. What is there to say? "I am single and not looking. I want to focus on my career/studies and I am happy where I am." It bothers me alot when I get asked (mostly from guys) who want to know why I am not dating anyone and sometimes not married. I was talking to an older woman about this and she told me what she told her daughter which was you don't have to get married, its fine to be single and you shouldn't hurry or push yourself to get married.

Some of you might think this is a bitter and angry post but really, I am just curious about the idea that its not right to be single. Some might even think that being single means being lonely. But you can still be lonely in a relationship. It almost seems wrong to want to be and to stay single. That you have to be with someone in order to be happy and if possible married and have children. I get really disgusted when guys whistle or look me up and down and give me unwanted compliments. At one point I wondered if I shouldn't wear tights and then I thought, what the hell, so many people wear tights why shouldn't I. Just because some sleaze bag wants to make stupid comments and gestures, that shouldn't stop me from dressing the way I want to dress because they're going to do the same thing every time they see a woman in a long or short dress. Perhaps this is where my inner feminist comes out and says NO to being treated and seen as an object that can be handled in anyway they like. I am not against to being in an relationship or others being in a relationship but I am against single women being treated and having to deal with smarmy-parmy crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment